Tasting highlights included:-
- fantastic sweet strawberries
- Trout sausages (sadly sold out)
- The creamiest Yoghurt
- Middle Eastern Ice Creams - we bought a halva one and a turkish delight one.
- Blackberry, Blueberry and almond Jam
- lemongrass chicken
- salted caramel sauce
- Pear, Pecan and Ginger Museli - bought
- lemon myrtle cheesecake
- Amazing Goats cheeses - bought a goats curd maninated in garlic.
Lunch (which was a little obscene after all that tasting) was a shared combination of a "Billy Kwong" Pancake with asian vegie salad and organic egg (and we actually saw Kylie Kwong - one of my favourite chefs), a fancy Toasted cheese sandwich (Croque Madam) from "Bird Cow Fish" (Alex Herbert was there too!!) and some Indonesian Vegetarian Spring Rolls. YUM.
|Our Combined Haul!|
This is the way I made the pasta.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
2 Tb Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large red onion, diced
500g mixed mushrooms, sliced (we used 300g Portobellos, 100g fresh shiitakes and 100g Black Cloud Fungus)
125ml red wine
100ml fresh cream
1 tspn truffle oil (optional)
500g Pasta of your choice (we had little elbows)
Pepper & Salt
Put a large pot of water on for the pasta
Heat the oil and half the butter in a heavy based pan.
Cook the onion and garlic gently til soft.
Put the pasta in to cook
Add the remaining butter and the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they are all soft.
Add the red wine, letting it bubble and reduce a little.
Stir in the cream, truffle oil and a generous grind of salt and pepper.
Simmer for a few more minutes, while pasta finishes cooking and is drained.
Stir pasta through the sauce.
Serve sprinkled in chopped parsley and with a green salad on the side (Cos and Cucumber with balsamic vinegarette today)
Very simple - but delicious because they were fantastic fresh mushrooms!
In the coming days we have the following market treats to make and/or eat to look forward to:-
- tasty museli for breakfast
- Mia plans to make kale chips and stuffed zucchini (courgette) flowers tomorrow
- A busy monday evening with no cooking time we'll have a meal of pumpkin felafels, greek pitta, tabouli, baba ghanoush and dolmades.
- the lovely ice creams
- the hazelnut and coconut butter (Mia made today with the market hazelnuts) on the 2 sourdoughs Ian chose.
- a salad with my new pot of french tarragon growing on the window sill.
- smoked salmon and dill muffins and dried fruit and vegetable "Flats" in our lunchboxes
- something yummy with the Goats curd.
- Pizzas this friday night with the very tasty roasted tomato and basil sauce Ian bought
Days of treats still to look forward to. A fabulous Birthday Outing!
|Playing with the dry ice from the ice cream packaging.|