17 Jan 2012

Sweet Potato and Feta Filo parcels

The other day I was cooking these Sweet potato and feta filo parcels for dinner.



I was little bit lost for whatever reason though, and so I kept forgetting things or putting in the wrong amounts etc.

I don't think I've ever managed to err this far  from a recipe by accident before.

Never mind!





They say you should learn from your mistakes, so I've rewritten the recipe to include (most) of the things that changed.

Some of the changes:

- because I forgot to halve everything but the sweet potato, I added a cob of corn
- I used a tablespoon not a teaspoon of fennel seeds
- I left out the chilli (this one was on purpose, my younger sister isn't so big on chilli)
- I didn't oil and poppyseed the triangles prior to baking (I might  do this next time….)
- I completely forgot the garlic (really wish I'd remembered!!!)





Please don't completely write of any competency in cooking you thought I had. I don't know what it was but I wasn't functioning at full that night :)

Anyway… they were still yummy and a big hit! 

I'll certainly be making them again!

Though perhaps when I'm slightly more alert!





Sweet Potato and Feta Filo parcels


Ingredients (served 4, with leftovers)

  • 500g evenly-sized orange sweet potatoes, unpeeled, washed, dried
  • 1 cob of corn, kernels removed (or 1/2 a cup of thawed, frozen corn)
  • 200g cow's milk feta, crumbled
  • 1 tbsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
  • 1 birdseye chilli, seeded, finely chopped (optional)
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
  • 1/4 cup chopped chives
  • 10 sheets filo pastry
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
  • 1 tbs poppy seeds

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place sweet potato in a roasting pan. Roast for 50 minutes or until just tender. Allow to cool, then peel and place in a bowl. Using a potato masher, mash coarsely. Add corn, feta, fennel seeds, chilli, garlic and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper then mix gently to combine.
  2. Lay pastry on a work surface and cover with a clean, damp tea towel. Working with 1 sheet at a time, cut pastry in half horizontally. Brush half 1 piece lengthways with oil. Place a heaped tablespoonful of sweet potato filling on right-hand bottom corner of pastry strip. Flatten slightly to form a triangular shape then fold diagonally across filling to other edge, to form a triangle. Continue folding to end of strip, retaining a neat triangle shape. Brush finished triangle with oil and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Repeat with remaining pastry, oil, filling and poppy seeds (note that each piece of filo makes two pastries). Pastries can be made up to 4 hours in advance up to this stage then covered and refrigerated in a single layer until ready to bake. 
  3. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Perfect served with salad, all on their own or as a delicious appetiser!
*Sorry for the lack of photography. I completely forgot, so these are just a couple of photos Mum took on her phone!

Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment